Frequently asked questions
We love YOUr questions! We've gathered FAQ answers here:
1. Will Mac Ride fit on any bike?
2. My child is 2 but small for her age. Can we still use Mac Ride?
The most important indicators for determining if your child is ready for Mac Ride are here (strength, listening skills, teamwork etc).
3. for how long can i continue to use mac ride with my child?
Mac Ride is for children aged 2 to 5. Our recommended weight maximum for your child is 60lbs. More critical information found here.
4. How long Does it take to take Mac Ride On or off?
Less than a minute! We've had a bit of practice; we can install/remove the seat in under 30 seconds!
5. What tools do i need to take mac ride on and off my bike?
Once your Mac Ride spacer is installed, you only need an allen key. Et voila!
6. My child can ride already. Why would I want mac Ride?
Mac Ride is ideal for the 2-3 year olds who can't get much further than the front gate ("carry me" "I tiiiiiiired" "buggy buggy buggy"). It's also amazing for the older years-- 4 and 5.
When a child can ride on her own, it doesn't mean she's ready for a cycle on her own bike around a remote lake on her next family adventure. Nor does it mean she wouldn't love to have a change in riding style, joining her mom with Mac Ride on a longer, lovely loop. In fact, we think swapping between the two is ideal for child development. Hit the pump track for your child to enjoy the lessons of balance and independent riding. Then have a go with Mac Ride so your child can gain an understanding of speed and flow, and how to handle those trickier bits on the trail.
7. What is "the Mac-Ride-Scoot"?
A few folk have written in asking how we strap Mac's run bike and his pedal bike to our backpacks-- a perfect strategy for those longer rides when you want your little one to stretch his legs and practice on his own wheels, but you want Mac Ride to help cover the full loop or climb the big hill.
The Mac-Ride-Scoot adventure is the equivalent of the lazy rider's shuttle for toddlers. But way more fun. Let's skip the preamble....you know, feed kid, hit the potty, get to forest etc. Jumping straight to the trail head:
- Step 1: Place helmet snugly on child's head.
- Step 2: Load scoot bike onto back pack.
- Step 3: Place child on Mac Ride and put feet into Mac Ride stirrups.
- Step 4: Ride up hill. Up hill. For a successful Mac-Ride-Scoot adventure, a downhill start is a no go, nothing but a recipe for parental-hunched-over pushing and toddler tears. So, step 4 features a climb.
- Step 5: At top of hill, remove child from Mac Ride, place child on scoot bike, and enjoy the glorious descent!
We don't use any additional straps or hooks, simply what's already built into our Dakine Nomad backpack.
8. WILL MAC RIDE HELP MY CHILD LEARN TO RIDE FASTER?
Yes! We have no official research, but we really think so! With Mac Ride, your child gets to hold on to your handlebars, feel the turns, and look at the lines ahead. How can it not help give them a sense of what it is like to ride themselves?
When it came to his scoot bike, our son stood over the crossbar and shuffled about for weeks. It was painful to watch. On one sunny day, on a smooth wide track, Mac asked for his bike to come off of my back, he climbed down from his perch on Mac Ride, got on his bike, and scooted off without a word.
9. Where can I buy a Mac-Ride?
We currently sell only online at www.mac-ride.com/shop.
10. Where do you ship?
We ship to North America, Europe, and many countries in Asia and South America. We also have a partner, Mountain Bikes Direct who sell locally in Australia and New Zealand.
We do not take a profit on shipping and if the cost exceeds what we have charged, we reserve the right to ask for the total shipping cost to be met by the customer. If the customer does now wish to do this, we will refund in full.
11. How much does Mac Ride cost?
We are currently offering Mac Ride at $219, discounted to $199 (US dollars).
- Shipping is added at the point of sale.
- For Canada and EU countries, taxes are also added at the point of sale.
- For Canada, USA and EU countries, international duty fees have been paid by Mac Ride
- For countries outside of Canada, USA and EU Countries, international duty fees and taxes are sometimes charged to customers directly upon receiving their Mac Ride.
Upon purchase you will receive an email receipt. You need to retain this receipt in the case of a return.
12. How much can I expect to pay for customs?
If I live outside of USA, Canada and the EU Countries, you are likely to be charged customs when your seat is delivered. How much? We wish we had a good answer for you. We have heard a range from $0 to $60USD. Usually, it is circa $20USD or less.
13. I have ordered a mac ride. How long will it take to arrive?
See shipping information here.
14. You are a Canadian company, why do you charge in USD?
We are proudly a Canadian company based in Victoria BC. However, our manufacturing is in Taiwan, and all of our costs are in USD. The US is also one of our largest customer bases. Currently, we only have one website and for these reasons, we have chosen to trade in USD.
Down the road, we hope to have a website specific to your country, in your local currency. We're just not there yet!
15. Is Mac Ride Safe?
Riding with children always comes with risk. With that context in mind, and advising that customers must always ride with common sense, well within their limitsm we feel the answer is-- Yes! Have a look here and here for information on safety.